"You never leave a place you really love. Part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."

Monday, July 04, 2005

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Can you hear it? "Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high, there's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby. Someday I'll wish upon a star and way up where the clouds are far behind me...where troubles melt like lemon drops, way above the chimney tops...that's where you'll find me."

It started in the 8th grade after I read Francine River's Mark of the Lion triology. This set of three novels is based on a young Messianic Jew's story of life in Rome duiring the days of Christ. I began dreaming of seeing these ruins and the places of history. Over the years, I've spent afternoons reading about Italy in Barnes and Noble's Bookstore, watching Italian cooking shows on the Food Network, listening to Josh Groban's music in his amazing Itlanian voice and language, eating gelato at Tuscany's Italian cafe and gelateria in College Station, and even watching the movies that could give me a better glimpse of the place that I dreamed of seeing. I made big, but outrageous, plans to save some of my needed courses so that I could study abroad after my sophomore year in college. But now, sitting in a hotel room in Houston, Texas, after over 24 hours of traveling and my last night in Italy, it is still hard to believe that this dream was a reality for me.

Two months ago, I remember driving to Austin for a much needed rode trip and some time alone with the Lord. I did not know how I was going to make it through the Spring Semester with school, heartache, spiritual warfare, and all of the personal battles I was facing. I remember crying out to the Lord in worship and weeping when I saw a rainbow appear through the storm clouds had been mirroring my emotions of fear and doubt. To my amazement, the Go of Creation allowed my eyes to view, not just one, but a double rainbow in the sky that day stretching from end to end. As cheesy as it sounds, it reminded me of his promise to Moses, and for me it represented the Lord's faithfulness. At that moment, I knew that his grace would be sufficient in my weakness. The next weekend, I went to a concert where I sat dumbfounded in the grass at night while Sean McDonald sang "Somewhere over the Rainbow". With tears streaming down my face in need, I closed my eyes and held on to the dream and relief. Sure enough, my Sweet Jesus helped me win those battles and conquer a hard time in life, all the while looking to Italy as a place of hope and healing. That is what it was. Through lone adventures, amazing sights, a wealth of new knowledge, and much needed companions, he fashioned a dream story that helped my heart to heal and stand in awe of exceeded expectations.

That promise and song of three month's ago was enough to hold on to, but our God always exceeds our needs. I mentioned how he reminded me of that promise and song while we were walking in Venice and I heard it on the grand canal. Then, as icing on my cake, The Wizard of Oz "just happened" to be showing on the plane flight home to America. Just as Dorothy begins to close her eyes, click her heels, and repeat those five words (there's no place like home)...that gentle rainbow tune chimes in. You can only imagine the smile that crossed across my heart and face at that moment. Even in coming home, I didn't need to end the dream but boast of the Lord's sweet gifts, healing, and precious memories.

There's a lot of reflecting to do in the days ahead and I refuse to live my life in the past, though I still long to be in that place that I hold so dear. In the airport today, however, my friend mentioned this quote by the famous Dr. Seuss: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." I hold on to this and am thankful, especially after just reviewing over 400 pictures and talking with the folks for four hours, for my "somewhere over the rainbow". This, I know, is only a fragment of the land that we have to dream of. For heaven, our home, is far more worthy of our dreams than any place that I have seen.

1 Comments:

Blogger D.O. said...

I can honestly say that I found that post to be beautiful... I'm glad you had such a rad time in Italy girl.

9:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home