"You never leave a place you really love. Part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

So Surreal

My struggle is how to describe a place that fufills so many of my dreams. Somewhere between the incredible country side (Yes, it does look just like the movies!), the fresh food cooked by our own Italian chef, reading in the cafe, or touring the city before eating gelato with the local kids...somewhere in the midst of all this I have been so satisfied. I recognized, today, that it is not the simple pleasures of man that will bring us real joy. However, when we experience delight in the Lord THROUGH these things real satisfaction comes.

We arrived in Rome after a seven hour plane flight. I think I gained some enemies since I was able to sleep for all but thirty minutes of the plane ride. We rode a bus to Santa Chiara (the center where the students from A&M and four other Universities stay) and ate our first Italian meal. I have three roomates...incredible girls that I really enjoy. The center overexceeded any expectations I may have had. Our room is huge...though the bathroom is a little odd! The town is perfect. It is set on the very top of a hill in Tuscany and overlooks the vineyards. The people love the students here. This is probably because we give them so much business...especially the "gelateria" where every girl got icecream this afternoon. After a day's worth of orientations and meetings, we saw the A&M singing cadets at a chapel performance last night.

This morning, the roomates and I woke up early and went to a bar (...hold on, this really means cafe) to get cappucinno and a pastry before reading and journaling. The most common phrase these days seems to be..."we're in Italy"...things that would be bad in America are small annoyances when I remember where I am.

Paolo, the center founder, took us on a historical tour of the town today. He has a fascinating way of connecting with the students. For example, he sat in front of the church today and explained the symbolism in churches. He talked about the classic era and man's search to find his "center" in the universe. Paolo, emphasized the meaning of sacred (man's realization of a gap between man and God) and religous (a reconnection). It seems to me like the church buildings of old were really created to represent the relationship with a holy God. In reminds me of how the tabernacle and temple were built, even in their grandeur, to display supernatural things. If only churches today were built and purposed to represent the Creator and His creation.

The locals taught us the language today when we went out for gelato and a tour of the town. I found a beautiful, secret place to read in the courtyard. I am even excited about studying archeology while we are here. We'll go to Rome, Florence, Arrezzo, Ostea, and other places to do on site lectures and presentations!

Thank the Lord for the opportunities and relationships that He has already provided. Who would have know that my lactose intolerance would grant me a relationship with the chef downstairs? Please keep praying for dinner conversations and the chance to be a sweet frangrance of the Lord's Gospel in this dream that he's allowing me to live! Thanks for your interests and supports!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home